Friday, January 30, 2009

Don't Change the World- Love the World


I love the natural and honest dialogue in the movie, Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are all excellent and create great chemistry.

Apart from adding Barcelona to my list of must visit places, it’s a wonderful story about love and hate, passion and choice. Two American women visit Barcelona for the summer and meet an artist, Juan Antonio.

This short exchange really captured my imagination. It took place when Juan Antonio took one of the women to meet his Dad, a brilliant poet who doesn’t publish his work.

Juan Antonio and Vicky sit down on the wall.
Vicky- So, uh, tell me, why won’t your father publish his poems?
Juan Antonio- Well, because he hates the world, and that’s his way of getting back at them -- to create beautiful works and then...to deny them to the public, which I think, it’s...
Vicky- My God. Well, what makes him so...angry toward the human race?
Juan Antonio- Mm, because after thousands of years of civilization...they still haven’t learned to love.


The dialogue struck me because I have a miserly side that would deny the world myself at times. At my best, I don’t believe that being miserly will bring love to the world. Note to self- I don’t have to change the world. Just love the world. And that will make all the difference.

No comments: